Our Heartspun Homeschool

Our Heartspun Homeschool

Saturday, March 31, 2012

ER visit...

Last night we were in the ER for 3 hours with Miss S. I bought a bag of Easter candy- Mini Hershey bars- we usually don't keep anything with peanuts in the house since Miss H is severely allergic- but since she is 6 now she knows not to touch them. There are Mr. Goodbars in the package and I didn't pull them out. Miss S wanted some candy so we let her have one, not realizing she had never actually had anything with peanuts before. Within 30 minutes her tummy was hurting, she was wheezing and coughing and then started gagging. I decided it was time to head to the ER since her breathing was so labored it was freaking me out. I gave her benadryl before we left thinking it would help- we got to the hospital and she was still wheezing. We got her squared away and into a room- they hooked her up to a pulse-ox machine and I was happy to see her oxygen levels were in the normal range. After the Dr. came she said her lungs sounded great and her throat was not swollen. Within 10 minutes from that she started breaking out in hives from head to toe. Her face swelled up & she got super itchy. The nurse brought her a steroid and more benadryl- it didn't work fast enough in my opinion. Thankfully we were at the hospital when she was looking her worst cause I was still freaking out. Finally she stopped itching and the spots went away. Then every minute she was telling me she wanted to go home, I swear if I had a dollar for every time she said it I would have at least 100 bucks!!! Finally the nurse brought discharge papers and an epi-pen prescription...and a sheet telling us to see an allergist....DUH!!!! The Dr. said for this being her first reaction, then next time she has one will be exponentially worse (scary). So we now have 2 girls with a peanut allergy- if you are someone I hang out with or see often don't get mad if I ask you a million times if something has peanuts in it!! We are going to be crazy peanut/nut free people now! And I am soooo thankful we homeschool! Here are some pictures I snapped with my cell phone camera- from a swollen face to a girl who was ready to head home!!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Oh poor girl! So good you thought to give her benedryl. So not fair though for both girls!