Our Heartspun Homeschool

Our Heartspun Homeschool

Friday, February 10, 2012

Tinting a Mason Jar.

I found this idea on Pintrest too and decided to try it. I was first going to spray paint a mason jar- but I had no spray paint. I did have all the items to do it this way and I think it turned out quite pretty. It worked so well, that I really want to do a bunch of different ones, but have no idea where I would put them at the moment. As soon as I come up with more decorating ideas for my house, I will be making more! (we love Mason jars around our house!! We love to do canning & we use them as our drinking glasses)

First- you need a mason jar or two!

Second- you need Mod Podge (Gloss) from JoAnn's .

Third- you need food coloring.


Next you can mix about a T of water with 6 drops of the food coloring you want to use. And mix that together gently. Then fill the bottom of the jar with Mod Podge.
Next add the coloring mixture and move it around to coat the entire inside of the jar. I did mine over the kitchen sink and sure enough some spilled out. After you have the entire thing coated well, you can pour out anything thats left into the sink, then tip it upside down on some old newspaper and let it dry for 30 minutes.


Next set your oven to warm or on the lowest setting, and line a cookie sheet with wax paper. Put the jars on it and put it in the oven for 10 min. After that turn them over and turn the oven off but let them sit in the oven for 30 more minutes.
 Afterwards you should have a beautiful looking tinted glass!!! It is no longer good for drinking out of, but can be used to hold things, or as a votive candle holder- if you have those battery operated ones!



Sara