Our Heartspun Homeschool

Our Heartspun Homeschool

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Homemade Tortillas

I made my wonderful homemade tortillas tonight for our enchilada dinner. Once you make them homemade, the store bought will be completely unacceptable! Especially to your spouse! I love this recipe because it is quick and easy- you could get a tortilla press to make them a bit quicker, but I am pretty speedy with my rolling pin so that has not been necessary. Make sure you have a cast iron skillet to make these- I have never tried it on a regular skillet- but cast iron works great! You will want it heated to medium.  Here are directions on how I make them- give it a try- you wont regret it!!!!

Ingredients:

3 cups flour (sometimes I use 2 cups whole wheat, 1 cup white)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
5 TBSP shortening or lard
1 1/4 cup water










 Mix the flour, baking powder, salt together- then add shortening and cut in.


I use my hand to make sure all the shortening is getting mixed in really good with the dry ingredients. Make sure it feels cornmealish- I also think it resembles the feel of moon sand...all mommy's with young kiddos will know what this feels like. Then add the water slowly while working it into a dough ball. (you may not use all the water & may have to add more flour if it is too sticky.) Once you have kneaded it into a nice round non-sticky ball leave it in the bowl and cover it for 10 minutes or so to let it settle.




After that break it into small pieces and work it into a ball by using your thumb and pressing in inwards- hard to explain but just make a bunch of dough balls. Cover this again and let it sit for 10 more minutes.




Turn your burner on to warm up your skillet- no higher then medium.

Next have your counter or cutting board floured a little and take one dough ball and smoosh it down then use the rolling pin to roll it out in a circle. I flip it over and around to get it in a nice circle. 









Go ahead and put it on your hot skillet and it should make some bubbles..if they are really big I usually pop them with the corner of my spatula. Then turn it over and leave it for about 30 seconds. Take it off after this it should be done. You don't want to leave it too long or it will burn and not be nice and soft.


While its cooking on the first side I try to get a couple more rolled out and ready so I always have another one ready for the skillet.


You should get 18-20  6 in tortillas out of one batch.


I was able to make a pan full of enchiladas and have 5 tortillas left over- we will eat these as a snack tomorrow with butter and honey on them. This is a BIG treat in our house and loved by everyone!

**I have also made a batch and cooked half into tortillas and put the rest of the dough balls in a freezer ziploc in the freezer. I let them sit on the counter to defrost when I need them and this gives them a chance to settle and be ready to be rolled out. You may need a little extra flour on the cutting board because of a bit of moisture **



No comments: