Our Heartspun Homeschool

Our Heartspun Homeschool

Monday, December 3, 2012

We are...



We have become an "unplugged" family. By this I mean, we have no internet. We are cut off from the world wide web- sort of. My husband can get online at work, and I can get on when we go to my moms house, a friends house or the library. For the most part though, nights and weekends we will be completely internet free. A few factors have played into our decision.

1.     At church a couple weeks ago, Pastor Barry talked about idols in the Bible and idols in our lives. He mentioned an idol being something we find ourselves doing most often, or thinking about. I knew right away, mine was the internet. From the moment I woke up I was on my ipad checking email, seeing what was new on Facebook and being sucked in by all the fun homeschooling blogs, and pintrest ideas. I knew I should be spending more time with the Lord, with my kids, keeping my house cleaner and overall being a better mom. Jeff was feeling similar- every night instead of spending time together we would sit and stare at ipads and computers...something had to give.

2.    Last month we started the process of checking my fertility. I went to see a reproductive endocrinologist. I knew our insurance had almost no coverage for fertility treatments. I asked the Dr. office to call my insurance and find out what was covered for me. A few days later they called me back and said all blood work and ultrasounds are covered for diagnostic purposes. I trusted them and went ahead with all the tests. And now the bills are rolling in- nothing was covered. I will hopefully be talking to them about getting some of a discount- but this is a HUGE expense we were not planning on. For 2 days I wanted throw up from knowing I should have called and verified the coverage myself and not been so trusting. It was a HUGE wake up call that we need to be "living like no one else" again. (P.S. all tests came back normal, I am not nearing menopause and my tubes are all clear- so we now have unexplained infertility)

We figured out that between cancelling internet and netflix we will save $70 a month. So saving money plus being more in-tune with our family- this was not a hard decision!! I cancelled it the next day and it has been an adjustment, but not really a big deal. I feel like the mom I used to be before we got WiFi at home. I am getting the house cleaned, the laundry done, playing games with the kids and reading them books. I do not want my kids to grow up and only have memories of mommy on her iPad and not spending time with them. Yes we homeschool, so I do spend time doing school with them- but I want to be better than that, I need to be better than that!

You may not have a problem like I did, getting online and getting sucked into it. If you do; consider unplugging in some way. You won't regret it and your kids will love and thank you for it.


No comments: