Our Heartspun Homeschool

Our Heartspun Homeschool

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Easy peasy- Homemade Alfredo Sauce

My kids LOVE Alfredo sauce, but the good stuff doesn't really fit into our grocery budget very often so I just never used to make it. I found a great recipe, somewhere...( I can never remember where I find them, I'm sure it was on the internet somewhere) for a homemade version. I admit I was skeptical, I just didn't think it would be something that was easy to make. I tried it once, WAY too peppery for my kiddos. I tried it again, and not peppery enough for mom and dad...so by the third time I think I finally got it right! It is now something on our monthly menu plan and everyone LOVES it!

The original recipe I wrote down is called Angel Hair Alfredo, we do use Angel Hair sometimes when I make this, but also use Fettuccine just as much.

Ingredients:

Pasta of your choice- cooked according to box directions

2 t. minced garlic
2 T. olive oil, I use coconut oil.
2 T. flour
1 T. cornstarch
1/2 t. garlic salt
1/2 t. pepper (or to your liking, up to 1t)
1/4 t. dried basil
1 1/2 C. milk
4oz. cream cheese
1/4 c Parmesan cheese (any kind)


First I put the flour, cornstarch, garlic salt, pepper and dried basil in a bowl and mix together. I also measure out my milk, parm cheese and cut my cream cheese into cubes. I like to have everything ready because this goes pretty fast!

In a large skillet, saute garlic in oil until lightly browned on medium heat. Next, add your flour mixture- it will start to clump up right away so add your milk almost immediately. Stir all of this together until it comes to a boil. Cook and stir it for 2 minutes or until it thickens. Reduce heat to low-medium and whisk in cream cheese and Parmesan Cheese until smooth.



You will want to have your noodles ready to drain about the time your sauce is ready or you can do it after and just keep your sauce on low to keep it warm and stir it often so it won't stick to the pan.

We always serve this with homemade garlic bread and a garden salad. Alfredo night is always a hit! Enjoy.


No comments: