Our Heartspun Homeschool

Our Heartspun Homeschool

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Sausage in a Garden


In my meal planning post found here I mention one of our dinner meals the kids like is Sausage in a Garden. This is just a cute name we gave to a very simple meal, that you may be eating at your house already! It was much easier to say sausage in a garden to the kids when they asked, "What's for dinner??" instead of telling them, sausage mixed with veggies and rice. So first you need to go buy 3 simple ingredients:


The minute rice can be replaced with any kind of rice. I buy this because I can get a huge box at Sam's for $4 and because I always forget to make the regular rice ahead of time and then when I am ready to make everything else I dont have an hour to cook the rice. So Minute rice it is!!

Next I chop up the sausage into pieces and sautee it in a pan..i do not add oil to the pan- the sausage has plenty for it to cook in.

This is about the size I chop the sausage into.

After the sausage has browned a little on both sides I simply put the whole package of frozen veggies in the pan with it and stir it around. I turn the heat to med-low and let it warm through for about 10 minutes.



While doing all this you can be boiling the water for the rice and getting that all taken care of.

*side note* I buy my 16oz packages of sausage at Sam's as well- they come in a 3 pack for $7- I keep them in the freezer until the day I need to cook them and then defrost them that morning in the fridge.

After the veggies are heated through and everything is ready you can plate it up and enjoy!!! We added applesauce as another side dish to accompany this!


No comments: