Our Heartspun Homeschool

Our Heartspun Homeschool

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Cinnamon Rolls




A couple years ago I posted a recipe for bread maker Cinnamon Rolls that are oh so yummy! Then my bread maker broke and no more cinnamon rolls for us, I tried making the dough without the bread maker and just couldn't get it right. Then I made a double batch of dough for my Lemon Blueberry Breakfast Rolls and needed to do something with the other half of the dough, so I made Cinnamon Rolls! Yay!!! My family was so happy. I used my new dough recipe for the dough, and the filling and frosting recipe from my old Cinnamon Roll recipe and voila, new recipe!! And they are oh so yummy!!!! I hope you try them, especially now that it is officially Autumn- my all time favorite season!!

DOUGH:
2 c  Milk
1/2 c Sugar
1/2 c Canola Oil
1 pkg yeast
4 cups All-purpose Flour
1/2 c (extra) All-purpose Four
1/2 T  Salt
1/2 t Baking Soda
1/2 t Baking Powder

Dough:
Combine milk, 1/2 cup sugar, and canola oil in a large pot. Heat over medium heat until very warm but not boiling. Remove from heat and allow to cool until warmer than lukewarm but not hot.
Sprinkle yeast over the surface of the liquid, then add in 4 cups flour. Stir gently until completely combined. Mixture will be wet and sticky. Cover with a kitchen towel, and allow to sit for 1 hour.

After 1 hour, add in an additional 1/2 cup of flour, as well as the salt, baking soda and baking powder. Mix until combined. Refrigerate dough, covered, until you need it.

Filling:
Turn it onto a floured surface (make sure you have lots of room).
Roll the dough into a rectangle approx. 16" x 21" with a thickness of 1/4".
Spread 1/3 cup of soft butter over the top of all of the dough.
Combine 1 C brown sugar with 2 T cinnamon in a bowl and spread that on top of the butter.
Then roll up the dough & cut it into 12 equal pieces.
Spray a 9 x 13 pan with non stick spray and place the cinnamon rolls in the pan. (When I made it, it made 1 pan plus an 8 x 8 pan)

Cover with the kitchen towel and allow to rise for 20 minutes, then place in oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until brown on top. If it doesn't seem to have risen a lot before it goes in the oven, it will while it's baking!


Icing:
4 oz. cream cheese ( I soften mine in the microwave for about 20-30 sec)
1 1/2 C powdered sugar
1/2 t vanilla
1/8 t salt
Mix all of that together and pour over top of cinnamon rolls. 

1 comment:

Patricia D. said...

Too bad we had to leave before you made these, BUT I remember how good they were several years ago. Thanks for sharing.