I have been following along with Money Saving Mom's 4 Weeks to Fill Your Freezer Challenge I haven't done it every day, but am trying to do a few a week. Last week I made homemade bagels- not for the freezer cause they didn't last long- (blog post coming soon)!! I made a triple batch of waffles and put those in the freezer, made a double batch of Amish Oatmeal, and one batch of my Cinnamon Rolls for the freezer as well! The oatmeal and cinnamon rolls I make to the point of being baked, then cover them good and put them in the freezer- they will still need to be cooked. Yesterday I made Granola Bars for the first time! YUMMY! Both my girls have an allergy to peanuts so ALL store bought granola bars are a no-no. The kids loved the homemade ones and we plan on making these a staple in our house!!
Here is the recipe:
- 4 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup raisins
- In a mixing bowl, combine the first seven ingredients; mix well.(I ended up using my hands.) Stir in chips & raisins. Press into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking pan- I would use 2 next time because they were pretty thick in one. Bake at 325 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes; cut into bars. Cool completely in the pan before removing. I then put them in baggies in groups of 3 for the kids. If I had Saran Wrap I would have wrapped then individually.