Our Heartspun Homeschool

Our Heartspun Homeschool

Monday, October 5, 2020

Newborn Days

Zachary's newborn days were all a little tough. We started out with jaundice which was seemingly caused by me and him having different blood types. I guess this is a thing??? I had never heard of it. I thought his bilirubin levels would never stay down and we would never stop going to the lab to get his foot pricked. Alas, it finally went away and he was ok. Around the time he was a month old he started wanting to nurse a lot, and very often. I went to my lactation consultant and she saw he was only taking in 1 oz each time he nursed, which meant he was hungry after only an hour and we were nursing all day long. She was pretty sure he had a tongue tie. She referred us to a dentist in Denver who specialized in tongue and lip ties. We were desperate so we drove up there. He saw Zachary had a tongue and lip tie and revised them both with a laser that day. He nursed again after the procedure and I could tell he was doing better right away. We had to do specific stretches with him every few hours to make sure they didn't grow back. It was tough, but worth it for my baby to be able to eat right. His weight never went crazy and got extra high or anything, he will always just be a little guy. That's the way God made him. 
 Enjoy some cute newborn pictures of my little guy.













No comments: